Why serve The Lord? Why be a Christian? Why give your life to Him? It starts with understanding how low and lost sin makes us. However, when you think about what God did for us through Jesus ... The Word ... God the Son ... when you think about what He did for us, we should feel the obligation, the desire and the need to follow Him. An inspired Paul writes in Titus 3:4-5, "But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,". There are three important concepts to consider in these two verses about our salvation...
I. WHY WOULD HE SAVE?
A. HIS KINDNESS
1. The word has the definite article
2. Literally it is “The Kindness” as the NASB has it
3. This indicates it was a natural attribute of God
4. Goodness, charity, mercy
B. HIS LOVE
1. As our Creator, God has a natural love for us
2. Jn. 3:16, I Jn. 3:16; 4:8-21
C. HIS MERCY
1. Word means kindness of concern expressed for someone in need
2. Mercy, compassion, pity, clemency
II. WHY DID HE SAVE US?
A. ONE NEGATIVE PREPOSITIONAL PHRASE
1. Did not save us because of works done in righteousness
2. Our salvation was not extended because we deserved it or earned it whatsoever
3. As a matter of fact, such was impossible
B. ONE POSITIVE PREPOSITIONAL PHRASE
1. He saved us because of His mercy
2. It was because of His nature, not because we deserved it
III. HOW DID HE SAVE US?
A. THROUGH THE WASHING OF REGENERATION (See II Cor. 5:17)
B. THROUGH THE RENEWING BY THE HOLY SPIRIT (See II Thes. 2:13
How could we not want to serve a God so loving, merciful and gracious? How could we not want to do all we can for Him? How could we not want to tell others about Him?